Terminate an apprenticeship contract before it begins – how to proceed correctly
You should always think carefully about whether you want to work in a particular company before signing the apprenticeship contract. Basically, you are bound by a contract. Consider this. Luckily, it’s not like you’ve sold your soul by doing so. You can also terminate the training contract before the start of the training.
Terminate the training contract in advance
First you should decide whether you want to start the training in the training company or not. Weigh all factors, commute, earnings and prospects. It is really important that you make your decision without any doubts, once you have resigned, the training position is gone.
- If you have decided to terminate the training position before it begins, please inform the training company of this by telephone. Of course you don’t have to do this. In this way, however, the training company can react quickly and flexibly. The sooner they know that you won’t be taking part, they can look for another trainee.
- Please note that termination at the beginning of the training contract is not standardized in the BBiG, nor is there a sanction for trainees who do not show up on the first day of work. According to prevailing case law, both contracting parties can terminate the training contract without notice. However, this right is contractually obligatory. Check whether your training contract excludes this right. If this is not the case, you can cancel without notice.
- Write a letter of resignation that you send to your company immediately, i.e. before the start of the training. You do not have to state a reason for termination. Just write that you are giving notice immediately and will not start the training position. Send the notice of termination to the training company by registered mail.
Notice periods at the beginning of the training
- You should note that both parties can terminate the training contract without notice before the start of the training contract if this is not contractually excluded.
- If you have already started the training, both parties can terminate the training contract during the probationary period without observing a notice period. This is exactly the same as before the start of the training.
- After the period of notice has expired, both parties can terminate the contract without notice for an important reason and the trainee can terminate the contract with a four-week notice period. To do this, you must state that you are giving up the training or that you are interested in a different career.
How helpful do you find this article?